Good Afternoon, Family.
Another ‘not sexy’, yet extremely critical and detrimental topic….ZIKA Virus
Take a close look at the map below. The geographic origins of this virus physically abuts half of the southern states, and likely affect the remaining states of the Union based upon vacation and travel patterns.
What is ZIKA VIRUS?
1. Mosquito-borne Virus…….Transmitted By Mosquitos (Aedes aegypti)
2. Mexico…..South America…..Central America….Puerto Rico….Carribean
3. Birth Defects…….Microcephaly (small head and abnormal brain development)
4. Neurological Disease…..Guillain-barré syndrome (muscle weakness.. paralysis…loss of reflexes….numbness/tingling)
5. Symptoms….Fever…..Rash….Joint Pain……Conjunctivitis/’Pink Eye’ (Inflammation/Infection of the Outer Layer of the Eye and Eyelids)
*******ONLY 1 IN 5 AFFECTED WITH VIRUS HAVE SYMPTOMS*********
6. Treatment……No Vaccine or Specific Medication
Rest….Fluids……Preventative measures to prevent mosquito bites, which can then infect the mosquito and propagate the virus in your geographic area!!!
Why Should We Care?
This is affecting thousands of human beings and new lives.
With travel and the natural migrations of humans, as well as other species, this is now an issue that has the potential to spread rapidly across this nation….PUTTING US ALL AT RISK!!
*************AT LEAST 36 PEOPLE INFECTED IN THE U.S.*************
************VIRGINIA COLLEGE STUDENT CONTRACTED VIRUS WHILE TRAVELING IN CENTRAL AMERICA…..Reported Today************
Who’s Affected and At Risk?
All who travel in the affected areas.
Particularly PREGNANT women, in whom the virus may result in MICROCEPHALY of the unborn baby.
What is Microcephaly?
The baby’s head is abnormally small.
Can be diagnosed by Ultrasound by 24 weeks
25,000 Diagnosed Per Year, in the United States alone.
Is Infection with ZIKA Virus PREVENTABLE? YES.
1. Insect Repellant
2. Mosquito Net
3. Long Sleeve Shirts
4. Light-colored Clothing
5. Insect Screens
6. Cover Domestic Water Tanks
7. Unblock Drains
8. Avoid allowing water to remain stagnant….flower pots
Is ZIKA Virus TREATABLE?
The Symptoms Can Be Treated.
However, the detrimental effects of ZIKA Virus on the unborn (Microcephaly and Abnormal Brain Development) and Neurological Conditions on Adults (Guillain-barré syndrome) are difficult, and often impossible to treat effectively.
**********AS ALWAYS, SEE YOUR DOCTOR, or other Health Care Provider, FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON TREATMENT AND FOLLOW UP!!!!!**********
What Can We Do?
1. Preventative Measures When Traveling To Affected Areas!!!
2. Educate and Spread The Word!!
3. Contact Your Doctor As Soon As You Begin Experiencing Symptoms!!!
And Inform He/She Of Your Recent Travel, if any.
*******It is imperative that we stay abreast and educated about the ubiquitous mosquito and its potential impact on so many lives*******
Take care. Be well. Be Safe.
Lisa Whitty Bradley, M.D., FACS
CEO & Founder
Chicks With MDs, LLC
Follow Us On Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Our Website!
Sign Up For Our Weekly Newsletter……www.chickswithmds.com
For more info check out the following:
Thanks to Janice Elizabeth Whitty, M.D., FACOG, for providing critical articles regarding this topic!
#ZikaVirus #Mosquitoborneillnesses #Microcephaly