I am trying very hard not to take this ‘Flint Water Crisis’ personally, but its hard, and I think un-human, not to.
This crisis could have happened in any county, city, district, borough, hamlet or State in America, because the power structure has free reign to remove/rearrange/re-distribute funds, or any other critical resources that are essential for our survival.
The first thing I’m going to do is provide the FACTS about this ‘CRIME’ committed against the citizens of Flint, Michigan.
Once we discuss the critical facts that resulted in the POISONING OF AN ENTIRE CITY, then we can get on to today’s topic of ‘Safe Water and Lead Toxicity’ (see January 22, 2016 Newsletter).
Please stay abreast of the news and what becomes of these City officials and the Governor of Michigan. Their fates not only speak to the viability and relevance of the judicial system, but also how we value our citizens and hold responsible parties accountable for their heinous crimes.
1. April 2014….Governor Snyder approved re-directing Flint’s water supply from Detroit’s Water System to the Flint River.
2. Mona Hanna-Attisha, M.D. was the pediatrician who began testing the children of Flint, Michigan for lead levels. The findings revealed that nearly 8,700 children have been exposed to lead poisoning since the first reported lead contamination, and lead levels in toddlers have DOUBLED since the water supply change.
3. 1.5 Billion is the ‘estimated’ cost to repair the damaged water system, although this could have been prevented for as little as $100.00 in maintenance of the water system.
4. State of Emergency Called by Three Separate Sources….
President Obama….FEMA to deliver water, water filters, cartridges and water test kits
Governor Snyder…..requests $28 Million for bottled water, filters, testing and replacing fixtures in schools, treating children with high lead levels, infrastructure integrity studies for pipes and connections. National guard to deliver clean water to nearly 100,000 residents
Mayor Karen Weaver declared a state of emergency
5. The EPA was aware of the lead levels by mid 2015
FECAL COLIFORM BACTERIA ADVISORY WITH INSTRUCTIONS TO ‘BOIL WATER’ FOUR MONTHS AFTER THE WATER SWITCH FROM DETROIT TO FLINT RIVER.
October 13, 2014….General Motors instructs Flint that they will no longer use the river water at its engine plant for fear of corrosion……
The City of Flint declined Detroit’s offer to resume supplying water (also waiving the $ 4 million reconnection fee)
6. Emergency Manager, Darnell Earley, validated the filtration and use of Flint River water, according to Vox.
7. Excellent timeline of events by mlive.com. See link below:
The lists of INACTION and CRIMES goes on and on. For a complete timeline of events……..