Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is never an easy topic- physically, personally, socially or medically, so let’s go through the essentials of ‘What To Know’ and get you the resources you need.
*******And most importantly, a baseline medical examination is essential to evaluate your general health and to determine what medical conditions you may have that put you at risk for ED*********
If we know the cause, we can often find a cure. Keep that in mind regarding all conditions. Lack of knowledge has never cured anyone….of this I am sure.
So what is Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?
*****Also referred to as Impotence*********
The inability to get and keep an erection firm enough for sex (mayoclinic.org)
The causes of ED vary from person to person. However, there are common factors that are TREATABLE!!!!
- Heart Disease
- Atherosclerosis (Clogged Arteries)
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Peyronie’s Disease (scar tissue inside the penis)
- ALCOHOL and other SUBSTANCE ABUSE
- Treatment for Prostate Cancer and Prostate Enlargement
- Surgeries involving the Pelvic region or Spinal Cord
- Low Testosterone
The Other Major Thing To Know About ED…..
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!
Approximately 30 million men in the U.S.A. are affected by Erectile Dysfunction.
What Can I Do????
- Medical Assessment
- Keep a journal/log of the following:
- When did the ED begin?
- How long has it been going on?
- Are there times….days/physical settings/sexual partners….where you can or cannot perform?
- Have there been stressful events in your life recently?
- Have there been changes to or additional medications added to your medical regimen?
- Do you smoke?
- Do you drink alcohol or use illicit drugs?
Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction…..
- Evaluation and Treatment of Any of the Above Medical Issues May Alleviate ED.
- Smoking Cessation (Quitting)
- Review medication list with your Physician and see if there is an alternative to any medications that may be causing ED.
- Medications…..Increase blood flow to the penis. There are multiple medication options. Speak with your physician about which medication is most suitable for you.
- Surgical Procedures
- Penile Implants/Prosthesis……permanent solution to ED
- Vacuum Pumps/Erectile Dysfunction Vacuums
- Sex Therapy. Personal Counseling. Couples Counseling.
- Natural/Herbal Supplement
- Testosterone Supplement
********DO NOT USE A MEDICATION PRESCRIBED TO SOMEONE ELSE************
********DO NOT CONSULT OR OBTAIN MEDICATION, or Surgical Therapy, FROM ANYONE OTHER THAN A CERTIFIED HEALTHCARE PROVIDER(Physician, Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant)!!!!!!*************
What are other resources for great information regarding ED?
- www.medicinenet.com…….GREAT QUIZ and SLIDESHOW!!!!
***Check Out Our Instagram and Facebook for more in-depth info on herbal supplements, medications and other treatment options for ED*****
Please know that there is help out there and you are not alone.
Take care. Be well. Be safe.
Lisa Whitty Bradley, M.D., FACS
CEO & Founder
Chicks With MDs, LLC
Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Oh, and Happy Valentine’s Day!!!!!!